Let us understand and discern what population of India can deliver.
As of 2016 our population is 1.324 billion which translates to 132 crores(approximately).
Adult literacy rate is 72.1%(2015), assuming this population can do basic reading and writing.
Keeping the same percentage for 2016 would translate to 95.17 crores. If we consider 10% of this population to be the cream i.e. approximately 10 crore Indians would be the think tank of this country.
India is a mouth watering market for any tech company/startup today because India offers a sizable population to operate for these companies and also provides the demographic variety. So any company, if not now probably in the coming days would first want to test it’s product here before launching it globally.
Let us look at the sectors which offer opportunities :
- Internet – Has changed the way Indians live in the last 10 years, will continue to grow with the same pace with cheaper data rates and increasing mobile users.
- Infrastructure – Offers an extremely promising landscape provided there are easier policies while executing projects.
- Transportation – This is one sector which can bring perennial windfall of wealth if revamped and redesigned different routes with ports of this big nation.[looks like IIT(Internet, Infrastructure and Transportation) occupies the top place here too, just kidding there is nothing like top in this list as all these sectors give enough scope and space for development]
- Healthcare – One booming sector which is embracing and adapting to change quickly, with ageing population. It can be a mammoth sized industry if nurtured from grass-root level.
- Sports & Fitness – In one sentence this can be defined as the industry which requires immediate attention.
- Clean Energy – With depleting levels of non renewable energy sources it’s time to look for renewable sources as India provides ample opportunity with varied climatic condition throughout the country.
There are industries which give abundant opportunities upfront such as agriculture, education, FMCG, etc. The above mentioned list of industries are for an individual who wants to unlock potential with increasing population.
As a society, we are evolving from a large sized group to nuclear groups which is a necessary and more viable option in an urban mindset. It is more to do with can do approach rather than what if.
Population proliferation can be beneficent if acted upon now. That does not validate the fact that this trend must continue. There needs to be more opportunities for people who want to take risks by giving creative freedom, irrespective of results. This attitude will bring upon a change in how younger generation perceive their world within and outside themselves.
The horse is ready to gallop, time for jockey !
Data Source: Population - World Bank. Literacy rate - Wikipedia.