Admissions to leading universities globally require transcripts, letters of recommendation from professors and most importantly statement of purpose for pursuing course along with valid scores of qualifying exam.
Purpose – It is the basic objective for performing any task.
Statement of purpose is a succinct information from the candidate to university expressing the objectives of candidate during and after course period.
Important parameters to consider while writing statement of purpose:
- Short-term goal : It is important to explain the applying university about candidate’s immediate goals soon after completing the course. It may be continuing research or getting into industry, a precise statement about it helps university evaluate the candidate.
- Long-term goal : Putting forth where the candidate and what candidate intends to do in 10 years would make the university gauge far-sight of a candidate.
- Applicant aspirations : Aspiration of the candidate enlisting – to do tasks helps professors align their work with that of candidate.
- Groundwork/preparation : To have covered sufficient ground or topics in preliminary stages makes it easier for the university to accept candidate.
- University specification : Every university is unique in a particular field, being aware of that uniqueness by candidate and applying into that stream clearly outlining path is crucial from candidate’s point.
With these parameters and purpose explained in brevity makes statement of purpose(SOP) notable.